Sunday, March 2, 2008

Flicking through week 2

After having a look around Flickr there are some things I like and some things I find really annoying. I loved searching Lamington and all of the pictures of one of my favourite National Parks were a lot of time was spent camping as a child came up. It would have been funny if you didn't know the National Park was called Lamington wouldn't it?

I could envisage myself using this site to share photos with family as we all have the technology now but tend to share it in a different way. We all take our camera or photo CDs to each others houses and use the computer or TV there to view them or share them. Flickr would be great as there would be no need to wait to see someone to share the photos or make sure that you remembered to bring the right connection cable or disc.

As for work it could be a way of interacting with other staff and patrons. Photo competitions, special event, etc could easily have images that we already take but only use for reports etc uploaded to Flickr for everyone to enjoy. You would need to be cautious about the comments other people added to your site. With links to a free comment site anyone could say anything and this would seem like your organisation endorsed it as it was your link and your photos. I would be concerned about the kinds of comments people might leave - can you moderate the coments like in a Blog? I have had the experience where a very professional site linked to a site like Flickr and the first thing you saw was not what was intended but the highly inappropriate comment left by someone else. You would have to make sure someone checked this regularly.



By the way if you're reading this please leave a comment, anyone, I'm not desperate or anything

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful photo you chose to upload! Actually I didn't mind the wiki week but I have still to tackle the RSS feeds - I'm encouraged by your postive comments on that section .....
Good luck with the remaining units.
Cheers, Itnitwit